1. GENERAL : Rodopi Challenge (ROC) is an
«introductory» ultra trail race, 50 miles long, which is held by the
non-profit organization “Rodopi Ultra Trail” at the Rodopi Mountain Range,
every spring. The race is 82
kilometers long and has 4200 meters elevation gain (D+). The route is “out-and-back” type on a 41
kilometers track, which is part of ROUT’s route. The race starts from the Forest Village
of Erymanthos, at Haidou, and after it reaches Zarkadia after 41
kilometers, then it turns back and follows the same route to the Forest
2. PHILOSOPHY : The race aims to introduce the participating athletes with the
spirit and philosophy of solidarity that expresses the central race event
of the organization, Rodopi Advendurun 100 miles (ROUT). It is an introductory event for
ROUT and exactly for this reason it follows its logic and characteristics. The
birth of ROC happened from the need to create an intermediate
(transitional) level between the marathon trail races and 100 miler ROUT, in
order to bridge the gap between these two race categories. Thanks to ROC, a
lot of athletes can be lead smoothly to the ultra trail races.
3. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION : The race is open to
all those aged 20 up to 70 years old, based on the participation criterion.
4. CRITERION : The participation criterion for the race is a mountain
running race at least 35K or
abandonment at 40K at least for a race over 50K. The criterion-race must
have taken place after 1/1/2013 and up to the date of submission of the
5. CATEGORIES : The categories in which the athletes are classified
are common for both sexes and are the following: a) Μ1/W1=20-49 years old, b) Μ2/W2=50+ years old, c) M3/W3=50-59 years
old, d) M4/W4=60-70 years old.
6. MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS : All the applications submitted during the registration
period that meet the participation criterion will be accepted, with no number
7. REGISTRATION PERIOD : The period
for submitting participation applications for 2015 will be Friday, January
16th at 22:00 until Sunday, March 15th . There will be given
no extension to the end date.
8. PARTICIPATION FEE : The participation fee amount for 2015 remains 50
Euros and is paid only after the approval of participation, to the
organization’s (Rodopi Ultra Trail) bank account with ΙΒΑΝ: GR29 0172 352000 5352 047379 743 at
9. PROVISIONS : The organization commits to offer to the athletes:
lunch before and after the race, refreshment posts during the race, medical
support, souvenir gift and medal, to the athletes that will finish the
10. CANCELLATION : Cancellation of participation and return of 50% of
the fee is accepted until the last day of the payment period (15.03.2015)
11. MEDICAL CERTIFICATE: The organization does not require a
medical certification from the athletes.
Each athlete is responsible for checking her/his health with regular
12. FIRST AIDES : The organization is responsible for medical support
(first aid) and the security of the athletes at the support stations and
the Check Points. The telephone number
112 can be used for emergency and it is good for athletes to be able to
communicate if needed.
13. COPYRIGHT : The organization has the copyright of the race
and the right to use the photos and videos taken on the day of the race.
14. PERSONAL DATA : The organization, in compliance to the
principles of protecting personal data, does not disclose personal data of
the athletes, or gives data to third parties for commercial or other
15. RACE BIB : The race bib is the only evidence of validity of
an athlete during the race, therefore all athletes are obligated to keep
their bib in good shape in a visible position on them, in order to be
recognized by anyone and to help monitor at the check points.
16. RACE BIBS DISTRIBUTION :
The race bibs distribution will take place the day before the race, Friday
24/4, from 12:00 noon until 22:00, and on Saturday 25/4 (day of the race)
until 05:30 in the morning. The
race bibs are given only to the athletes themselves, with presentation of
any valid identification document
17. TECHNICAL BRIEFING : The technical briefing of the athletes will be
outdoor and will take place where the closing ceremony is held at 19:00
afternoon on the day before the race.
18. MANDATORY EQUIPMENT : There is no mandatory equipment for the
athletes. The athletes are responsible
to carry with them the necessary equipment for their basic and emergency
needs. The organization recommends
the following: waterproof jacket, water container, hat, haemostatic,
emergency food, head lamp, cell phone.
19. PENALTIES : Athletes will be disqualified for the following infringements: a) failure to pass through a checkpoint, b) littering at the route, c) inappropriate
behavior towards the volunteers or co-athletes, d) assistance
given other than in the official refreshment points, e) pacing by persons that do not
participate in the race.
20. TIME LIMIT : The race will start at 06.00 at the Forest
Village. In addition to the time limit, there is an in-between time barrier
in the middle of the race (Zarkadia Κ-41), in 8:00 hours. So, any athletes that arrive to
Zarkadia after 14:00 are disqualified to continue the race. Extension to the limit will be given only
under extreme weather conditions.
21. CANCELLATION-POSTPONEMENT : Suspension
of the race, temporary or final, may happen based on the organizations
judgment due to extreme weather conditions at any time during the race.
The same may happen at the start of the race, which may be postponed for a short
period of time and with the prospect of better weather conditions. In case
of bad weather conditions the time limits of the race may be expanded.
22. WITHDRAWAL : An athlete can drop out of the race, only after
giving his bib number to a responsible staff member at a Check Point. From the moment he gives his bib number and
on, which means dropping out of the race, the athlete has the right to
manage his time and strengths as he wishes. The organization is responsible
only for transporting the athlete to the Forest Village, as long as he is :
a) at Zarkadia, b) at Prasinada, c) at Livaditis.
23. SIGNS : The course signs vary depending on the section and
is based mainly on signs with the race logo, signal ribbons and a
conjunction of other means of marking.
The first 10 and the last 20 kilometers will also be marked with night
24. REFRESHMENT POSTS : During the race there will be 3 refreshment
posts: a) Prasinada-1 (Κ-27), b) Zarkadia (Κ-41), c) Prasinada-2 (Κ-55). At the refreshment posts a variety
of fresh and cooked food will be offered. The athletes must carry with them
a cup or tumbler, to receive liquids at the refreshment posts.
25. DROP-BAG : Each athlete has the right to give to the organization
a drop-bag with material, equipment and consumable supplies of his/her
choice, which will be transferred to Prasinada by the organization. The drop-bag’s volume cannot be larger than
30 liters and can be given to the organization the day before the
race. They will be transferred to
the Forest Village by the end of the race again by the organization.
26. OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE : Outside assistance to the athletes is allowed
only in the official refreshment points (Prasinada, Zarkadia).
27. CHECK POINTS : During the race there will be 15 check points,
where for security reasons and for the smooth conduct of the race, the
athletes are recorded.
28. SWEEPING SERVICES : A team of volunteers will follow the last athlete
of the race, for security reasons, having the ability at the same time to take
part in the coordination of providing aide to any injured athlete, in
cooperation with the medical staff of the organization.
29. PRIZES-MEDALS : The winners of the race will be awarded with trophies
while all athletes who will finish
the race will be given a medal. The three first men and the three first women
will be honored, as well as the first man or woman of the Master category (Μ2/W2).
30. CHANGES : The present rules are subject to change without
prior notice, but in general the spirit of the rules remains the same.